USPS Announces Rate Change
Yes the rumors are true! The US Postal Service has announced that effective April 17, 2011 postal rates will increase. This is the first postal rate increase in over two years and according to the US Postal Service, "The 1.7 percent average increase is at or below the rate of inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index - although actual percentage price increases for various products and services vary" (USPS.com). It is obvious that this will mean an increase in postage costs, but here at United Mail we are always looking for ways to reduce mailing costs for our clients.
Here are a few tips to offset the effects of the increased postage rates:
- Full Service: Are you taking advantage of maximum postage discounts?
Did you know? United Mail is certified to process Full Service mail.
- Sizing Down: Consider replacing a flat size envelope with a letter size envelope
- Reconsider: Can your first class mailing be sent standard?
- Clean Up: Be sure that you are scrubbing your address files to assure optimal deliver and efficient postage rates using the following hygiene Programs:
- National Change of Address (NCOA)
- Coding Accuracy Support System (CASS)
- Delivery Point Verification (DPV)
- Locatable Address Conversion System (LACS)
Did you know? United Mail has the ability to run your data through these address hygiene programs!
- Double Check: Be sure that you are using the proper endorsement on your envelopes
- Consolidate: Review your internal procedures for consolidation of mail
- Slim down: Check the weight of your mail piece. Is there a way to reduce it?
- Simplify: Try using a self-mailer instead of an envelope
- Presort: If you are not currently doing so, consider using a presort service to process your first class mail
Did you know? United Mail can presort your mail for you!
These are just a few tips United Mail has to offer to offset the effects of the postal rate increases. To view a list of new rates effective April 17th, click here.
Want to learn about how United Mail can help your company cut postage cost, or to learn about any of the services United Mail has to offer? Please contact us.